Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dr. Demento's top 50 for 1975

I have to first thank my Uncle Peter for getting these awesome recordings to me. Thanks Peter. As a middle-schooler my main interests were Star Wars, video games, and "Weird" Al Yankovic. Everything on the radio except oldies took it self too seriously regardless of how catchy some of it was. "Weird" Al would take catchy pop songs and give them lyrics worth listening to. If it weren't for him I would not have discovered Dr. Demento, King of Novelty/Comedy Radio. It Was Dr. D that put "Weird" Al on the radio in the underground california of the 70's. My uncle Peter was, unlike me, actually around and alive in those days. And as a fan took the liberty to record Dr. Demento's top 50 for 1975 on to cassette tape. Years Later he copied it to tape for me. While some to the songs on this radio show are easy to find and available for purchase on novelty compilations many are rare or worse, no information on them anywhere I look,(if you do know send a message). Maybe someday I'll compile all the songs on this show and post a big zip file. But untill that time comes here is some excellent songs from the show most I recorded from the cassete my Uncle Peter gave me.

Llyn Foulkes & The Rubber Band - Bye Bye Blackbird
Llyn Foulkes & The Rubber Band - El Monte
Sgt. Charts & His Teenage Zombie Drug Band - Say Guy, Ya Wanna Boogie
Jim Connor - Them Poems
Frank Crumit - Abdul Abulbul Amir
Ben Gay And His Silly Savages - THe Ballad of Ben Gay
Brad Stanfield - Waffle Whiffer
And Posted by Special Request for Cory R. Crumb's - Get A Load of This

2 comments:

  1. Man these are great! I especially like the two tracks by Llyn Foulkes & The Rubber Band! Both will be among my favorite songs of all time for... well the rest of all my time! Thank you! I couldn't find any information about them at all online, and I looked more than once and for a few hours altogether and still Nada. I'm from Long Beach and their El Monte track is such a dead on cornball classic it's not even funny... it be hilarious! Thanks friend I really appreciate it! Any thing else (info, song or thought) will be attentively suckled and thoroughly digested with gluttonous glee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for appreciating! By the way, you wouldn't happen to still have any of those tracks? If I still have any there deep in storage or in some dead computer. Please? Let me know. Thanks!

      Delete